History of Dillsburg Area Authority
The Dillsburg water system has been in existence for well over a century. It began as an investor-owned venture when Dillsburg Borough granted a franchise to the Dillsburg Water Company in August of 1900. The original source of water was a series of springs along the South Mountain. The water was collected in a constructed reservoir, and was then released to a distribution system, which initially served mainly residents of Dillsburg Borough.
In 1960, Dillsburg Borough purchased the water system for the benefit of the public. The Dillsburg Borough Authority, as it was known at that time, was used as a financing entity for the purchase, Well 3, was added in 1963 as new customers were being added, and as a hedge against drought.
In 1999, Dillsburg Borough joined together with other area municipalities to regionalize the water system and formed the Dillsburg Area Authority, which owns and operates the system. The original water springs and collection reservoir have been abandoned. Most of the original system has been replaced with new piping, storage vessels, valves, hydrants, sources and treatment facilities. Service is provided to Carroll Township, Dillsburg Borough and Franklin Township.
The system now includes:
More than 50 miles of water mains
245 fire hydrants
More than 1.4 million gallons of water storage capacity in 5 tanks
Daily permitted water production capacity of more than 1,000,000 gallons from five wells
Daily average demand of nearly 400,000 gallons
An estimated service population of more than 8,000 people
The only forms of water treatment needed are disinfection and corrosion control.
The Dillsburg Borough Authority was formed in 1947 to bring about sewer service in Dillsburg Borough. A treatment plant was constructed along what is now Route 15, and service began after construction of the collection system. The system was operated by Dillsburg Borough. In the 1960's, with the addition of more connections, and a greater need for sewer service, the plant was moved to its present day location at 32 Old Mill Road and expanded.
A regional study conducted in the 1970's determined the need to expand the sewer system to serve areas in Carroll Township, Franklintown Borough and Franklin Township. Completed in 1983, the wastewater treatment plant was expanded to add capacity and provide for more advanced treatment. Sewers were extended to Franklintown Borough, and the Range End Road and Mountain Road areas.
In the 1980s and 1990s, Carroll formed a sewer Authority to provide service to areas of northern Carroll Township that were experiencing growth. Wastewater flows were received by the Dillsburg Borough Authority through a service agreement between the parties.
As growth continued during the 1990s, and in recognition of the existence of more service needs for existing homes, it was determined that another significant system extension and wastewater treatment plant upgrade was necessary. Community leaders decided that the best institutional means of bringing about a project on a large scale was through a regional service entity. As a result, the Dillsburg Area Authority was formed with equal representation from all participating municipalities (two members each). A service area in Monroe Township was added in 2001. Thus, the sewer service area of the Dillsburg Area Authority came to include all or parts of Carroll Township, Dillsburg Borough, Franklintown Borough, Franklin Township and Monroe Township.
In 2003, the Old Mill Road WWTP was upgraded and expanded to a permitted hydraulic capacity of 2.3 MGD. In the ensuing years the sewer system was extended to serve the Gulf Club Avenue and Homewood Street areas, Berkshire Hills, Carroll Manor and Monroe Acres.
As a result of new regulations intended to improve water quality in the Chesapeake Bay, a plant treatment process technology upgrade was completed in 2011. The Old Mill Road plant currently exceeds all related effluent standards.
The Authority maintains more than 70 miles of sewer mains and ten pumping stations, in addition to the treatment plant.